Smith Law Offices-Personal Injury Law-
Dog Bite Attorneys in Wisconsin and Illinois
Have you suffered injury from a dog bite in Wisconsin or Illinois? Not sure what legal options are available? Contact Alexander J. Smith Law Offices today!
In the United States, over 4.5 million people seek medical attention annually for dog bites. In Wisconsin and Illinois, a fair share of those innocent victims will suffer from devastating injuries as a result of friend’s dog getting aggressive or a neighbor’s dog escaping from their yard. Sadly, the injuries and damages caused by dog bites can have a very long-term impact on the health and wellbeing of victims, including gruesome scars and psychological trauma.
In both Wisconsin and Illinois, dog owners are strictly liable for all injuries and damages caused by their animals. What this means is that the dog owner is responsible for the costs associated with all of the medical treatment and damages resulting from their dog biting another person, regardless of whether or not the dog had a previous history of being aggressive. In cases where the dog has a previous history of being aggressive, and the owner is aware, they may be forced to pay punitive damages in addition to other fees and damages.
Don’t Speak To The Insurance Company Before Talking To A Dog Bite Attorney
In many cases, the dog owner’s insurance company will approach victims and offer minimal settlements for their injuries. These self-serving insurance companies do not care if the compensation they are offering is enough to cover all of the damages incurred. Instead, they are only interested in pressuring victims to accept their minimal settlement offers and sign away their legal rights to file a lawsuit or obtain additional financial compensation in the future.
Rather than accepting lowball offers from a dog owner’s insurance company, it is imperative for victims of a dog bite to reach out to a skilled and knowledgeable personal injury attorney in Wisconsin or Illinois who has experience handling dog bite claims. Our dog bite lawyers at the Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have helped countless victims recover the maximum amount of compensation available to them under the law for legal claims surrounding devastating dog bites. For over two decades, we have continually provided aggressive and competent legal representation to injured victims throughout the states of Wisconsin and Illinois. We work to ensure these victims get the justice and compensation they deserve.
Victims can contact our dedicated dog bite attorneys at any time to schedule a free case evaluation and get started with their claims. Our team will review the details surrounding your incident, gather documents and evidence in support of your claim, work with and hire legal experts who can provide critical details to support your case, and aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements to ensure you are able to cover the financial burdens resulting from your injuries. Contact our law firm today to see how we can help you.
Who is Liable for Dog Bite Accidents in Wisconsin and Illinois?
There are strict liability laws in place surrounding dog bites in both Wisconsin and Illinois. Victims who are harmed by dogs are entitled to monetary compensation to help alleviate the costs of medical treatment and other incurred damages. It is crucial to understand who can be held liable for dog bite injuries. Typically, where the incident occurs determines who is responsible.
- Dog bites at a vet, a business, or a daycare: When a dog bite incident occurs at these locations, not only the owner of the animal, but sometimes the property owner or business owner can be held liable for resulting injuries and damages. In some instances, both property owner and business owner can be charged with a failure to maintain a safe premises for guests.
- Dog bite at a park: Although dogs are allowed at parks and public areas in Wisconsin and Illinois, dog owners are responsible for keeping their pets under control. If a person is injured from a dog attack at one of these locations, the owner of the animal is responsible.
- Dog bite on a sidewalk: While dogs are allowed on public sidewalks, it is crucial that their owners follow leash laws and make reasonable efforts to prevent the animal from causing harm to others. When victims incur injuries from dog bites while walking on sidewalks, the owner of the dog is responsible.
- Dog bite in someone’s home: You may be an invited guest into a home but if their dog bites you, then owners are responsible for any resulting injuries and damages. If someone else’s dog bites you while you are in another person’s home, both parties may be liable for damages
If you suffered injuries from a dog attack, contact the personal injury attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices today to see what legal options are available for you.
Most Common Injuries Associated with Dog Bite Attacks
Despite their reputation as man’s best friend, even a well-trained dog can quickly turn on someone and cause devastating injuries. In some cases, victims require extensive medical treatment for their injuries, have to spend weeks in recovery, and are left with lifelong injuries and repercussions, both physical and psychological. Some of the most commonly reported injuries associated with dog bite attacks include the following:
- Facial Injuries: Dog bite injuries to the face can be truly horrific. Sadly, children are the most commonly affected by this type of injury. A dog bite to the face can result in both physical and emotional trauma resulting in intense pain and suffering that can be lifelong.
- Infections: Dog bite wounds can quickly turn into extremely serious infections. Some of the most common infections dog bite victims suffer from include pasteurellosis, cellulitis, and capnocytophaga. Recognizing the signs of infections is critical to preventing their spread.
- Nerve Damage: Victims often suffer nerve damage from dog bites. Although some of these injuries can heal with time, there are many cases where they never heal. Nerve damage due to dog bites can be devastating, leaving victims with lifelong pain and suffering along with permanent impairments.
- Amputations: Many dog breeds have very strong jaws and extremely sharp teeth. This makes them capable of causing devastating bite injuries. When victims sustain bites to the arms, toes, hands, fingers, feet, or legs, they are at an increased risk of having to have limbs and other body parts amputated. Serious infections can increase the risk of amputation.
- Scarring: Dog bites can, and often do result in permanent scarring for victims. These scars can require significant medical attention, possibly even plastic and reconstructive surgery. Dog bites and resulting injuries can cause not only physical scars but mental and emotional suffering and scars as well.
- Muscle Damages/Impairments: Depending on the severity of injuries, some victims may endure muscle damage and impairment. These injuries can make it difficult for victims to control common bodily functions, depending upon the affected area.
- Rabies: When dogs are not properly vaccinated, victims can contract rabies in an attack. Rabies can spread throughout the body and if it is not treated promptly and properly, it will result in death.
- Lacerations/Abrasions: Cuts, scrapes, lacerations, and abrasions are extremely common injuries from dog attacks. These injuries can be extremely painful and may require extensive medical treatment.
- Broken/Severed Bones: Broken and severed bones from dog bites can require surgical implants, such as screws, bolts, and wiring, to repair the bones. These injuries can be devastating and can keep victims off work for months.
- Death: There are instances where dog bites can result in fatal injuries. This is particularly true in cases where major arteries are ruptured or in cases where massive infection occurs.
Children at Greater Risk
Children remain at an increased risk of suffering devastating dog bites. Dogs often misinterpret the actions of children as threatening gestures. When children are injured in a dog attack, it is imperative for their parents to reach out to an experienced and knowledgeable dog bite injury attorney as soon as possible to discuss their legal options for holding the dog owner responsible. Call the dog bite attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices to discuss your dog bite attack and ensure that your rights are protected from the start.
How Personal Injury Claims for Dog Bites Work in Wisconsin and Illinois
Victims who suffer devastating injuries in dog attacks in Wisconsin and Illinois may be able to obtain compensation. At Alexander J. Smith Law Offices, we work diligently to ensure that all of our clients who were harmed by a dog are able to get the maximum amount of compensation and the justice they deserve for their dog bite claims. An experienced dog bite attorney will ensure that your legal rights and best interests are protected. Some of the services we provide for injured dog bite victims include:
- Investigating the claims: We will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your attack, including gathering photos, video, and surveillance footage, if available.
- Gathering evidence: We will investigate the dog owner and the dog to determine if they have a history of aggression. Proving that an owner knew about a dog’s aggressive past can be critical in helping victims collect the maximum amount of compensation.
- Maintaining communication: We at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices firmly believe communication is a critical part of ensuring a successful lawsuit and relationship between attorneys and clients. For this reason, we maintain open communication with victims about their claims throughout the entire legal process and answer any questions they have.
- Getting the compensation you deserve: Our team builds strong legal cases on behalf of accident victims to ensure they get the justice they deserve. With these claims, we are in a better position to aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements on behalf of victims to ensure they get the maximum amount of compensation they deserve. If we are unable to come to a settlement agreement, we are prepared to take each claim to trial and help victims obtain the outcome they deserve.
We strive to help victims protect their legal rights and best interests. If you sustained injuries in a dog attack, contact Alexander J. Smith Law Offices to see how we can assist you. Schedule a free case evaluation at your earliest convenience to explore legal options available to you.
Why Work with Alexander J. Smith Law Offices in Wisconsin or Illinois
Every year, thousands of individuals throughout Wisconsin and Illinois suffer devastating injuries in dog attacks. Sadly, children are the most common victims of these brutal and terrifying attack. When victims incur injuries due to dog bites, they are often forced to seek medical attention immediately. Not only do these horrific attacks leave victims with serious injuries and permanent physical scarring, but the emotional and mental consequences are often devastating as well.
In some cases, victims are forced out of work to recover while having to spend tens of thousands of dollars on medical treatment for their injuries. When victims are harmed by dogs, it is crucial that they reach out to a dog bite attorney in Wisconsin or Illinois as soon as possible. Those harmed may be entitled to compensation for their injuries and resulting damages.
For more than two decades, the personal injury lawyers at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have helped thousands of victims get the justice and compensation they deserve from those who cause them harm. Our aggressive dog bite attorneys strive to ensure victims recover full and fair compensation to alleviate the financial burdens they face after a devastating dog attack. At Alexander J. Smith Law Offices we understand the mental, physical, and financial devastation victims face after being harmed. For this reason, we provide personalized and knowledgeable legal services for victims on a contingency basis.
Rather than forcing victims to pay upfront fees for services, we provide reliable and skilled legal representation to victims to ensure that their legal rights are protected. Instead, we receive our payment once settlement has been reached or trial has concluded. If victims do not win their claims, then they are never required to pay us for our services.
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a devastating dog attack, contact our specialized dog bite injury attorneys at (608) 237-7035 for victims who are harmed in Wisconsin, or, if you live in Illinois, (815) 243-9686. Meet with one of our dog bite attorneys in your area and explore legal options available to you. By scheduling a free case evaluation, we can review the circumstances surrounding your claim and determine the best legal route for getting you the justice and compensation you deserve.
Jon M, Personal Injury Client
Michele H, Personal Injury Client
COMMUNITIES WE SERVE
Smith Law Offices is dedicated to helping injured people and their families in Wisconsin and Illinois:
- Janesville, WI
- Beloit, Wi
- Evansville, Wi
- Delavan, Wi
- Walworth, Wi
- Roscoe, Il
- South Beloit, Il
- Rockton, Il
- Machesney Park, Il
- Loves Park, Il
- Rockford, Il
Send Us A Message
This web site is made available by Alexander J. Smith Law Offices for general information purposes only and to provide a general understanding of certain aspects of personal injury law, NOT to provide legal advice. Readers of this web site are cautioned that reading it or submitting an inquiry does not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Alexander J. Smith Law Offices.