Alexander J. Smith Law Offices-Personal Injury Law-
Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Wisconsin & Illinois
Have you incurred devastating injuries in a slip/trip and fall accident in Wisconsin or Illinois? Not sure about what to do next? Contact Alexander J. Smith Law Offices today to explore legal options available for you!
Slip and fall accidents are a leading cause of accidental injuries across the United States. According to reports produced by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 17,000 people die annually from injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents. Over one million more are left with devastating injuries and impairments.
For over two decades, slip and fall accident attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have been helping victims harmed in slip and fall accidents get the justice they deserve. We work diligently to ensure victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims. After an initial consultation, we immediately begin working on building a case for our clients. We will go out to the scene of the accident to investigate, gather photos, videos, and surveillance footage where available, take statements and testimony from witnesses and work with experts who can recreate the scene of the incident to uncover critical details in support of victims’ claims.
After compiling a strong case on the client’s behalf, we aggressively negotiate fair settlements to ensure they get the maximum amount of compensation available under the law. In cases where we are unable to come to a settlement agreement, we represent victims in court to ensure they obtain the most desirable outcome for their claims. Contact our slip and fall accident attorneys in Wisconsin and Illinois as soon as possible to see how we can help you.
Don’t Speak With An Insurance Company Without Speaking To A Lawyer First
Many slip and fall accidents that occur in both Wisconsin and Illinois are the result of negligent and reckless property owners. When a person endures a devastating injury in a slip and fall accident, they are often approached by the self-serving insurance companies of the property owners and offered minimal settlements for their injuries.
Accepting a low-ball settlement offer can leave victims with barely enough compensation to cover any of the resulting medical bills. This not only deprives the victim of the full and fair compensation they are entitled to at the time, but it also stops the victim from being able to pursue additional compensation for damages that may arise in the future. Sadly, countless injured slip and fall victims end up accepting these offers out of a need to tend to immediate financial burdens caused by their injuries and do not realize the importance of speaking with an attorney to protect their rights as a victim. Rather than accepting a low-ball offer, it is crucial that victims reach out to a slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible to protect their legal rights.
What is a Slip and Fall Injury?
As the name implies, a slip and fall injury occurs when a victim slips, trips, or falls due to various factors. In some cases, uneven or broken flooring, ice, or other disturbances on a ground surface cause a person to lose their footing and fall. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention classifies fall accidents in two basic categories: elevated falls or same-level falls. Although both types of falls can be disastrous, same-level falls are far more common and cause injuries to a larger number of people; while occurring less frequently, elevated falls often result in far more severe injuries for victims.
Statistics surrounding slip, trip, and fall accidents shine a light on the various factors involved:
- 60% of slip and fall accidents involving elevated falls are from heights less than 10-feet;
- 15% of all work-related injuries are due to slip and fall accidents;
- Between 20% and 30% of all slip and fall victims incur moderate to severe injuries;
- Slip and fall accidents represent nearly 40% of all nursing home admissions;
- Slip and fall accidents are the sixth leading cause of accidental death in victims over 75;
- Over 30% of all individuals over the age of 65 will suffer a fall injury, 10% of which will be serious.
On average, victims injured in slip and fall accidents spend over 30 days off of work to recover. These injuries are often devastating, having a life-altering impact on the health and wellbeing of those suffering them particularly the elderly. For this reason, it is imperative that victims reach out to a reputable and knowledgeable slip and fall accident attorney from Alexander J. Smith Law Offices as soon as possible to see what legal options are available.
Most Common Causes for Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can occur for a variety of reasons. A majority of these accidents are completely preventable, yet we continue to see the devastating consequences that innocent victims are left to endure. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Inadequate lighting
- Trailing cables
- Uneven floor levels or damaged surfaces
- Broken or damaged floor coverings
- Poor housekeeping
- Wet surfaces
- Icy walkways
- Broken or missing stair rails
In some cases, multiple factors can contribute to a slip, trip, and fall accident.
Most Common Locations that Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
In Wisconsin and Illinois, the most commonly reported slip and fall accidents occur at the following type of location:
- Apartment Complexes
- Parking Lots
- Gas Stations
- Grocery Stores/Supermarkets
- Public Sidewalks
- Department Stores
When a person sustains debilitating injuries in a slip and fall accident, it is crucial that they reach out to a slip and fall accident attorney in their area as soon as possible to protect their rights as a victim. The skilled and knowledgeable personal injury attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices are dedicated to helping victims collect the maximum amount of compensation attainable for their injuries.
Most Commonly Reported Injuries Resulting from Slip and Fall Accidents
Victims involved in slip and fall accidents often suffer devastating injuries that can have a long-term detrimental impact on a victim’s life. Those harmed can be forced to undergo extensive medical treatment for their injuries and deal with overwhelming mental and physical pain and suffering. Some of the most common types of injuries incurred by slip and fall accident victims include:
- Broken Bones: In many cases, victims have to go through surgery and spend months in recovery. These injuries can have a long-term impact on a victim’s ability to perform many common tasks with ease, particularly among victims injured at an advanced age.
- Sprained Ankles/Wrists: Sprains are often extremely painful and can actually take longer to heal than broken bones. Victims are frequently unable to perform common tasks due to limitations from their injuries. In many cases, months of therapy are required to recover.
- Knee Injuries: Knee injuries can have a devastating impact on ability to walk, run, stoop, lift, and perform other actions required in many common tasks.
- Shoulder Injuries: Shoulder strains and dislocations may require victims to undergo surgery and spend months in physical therapy. They can have a detrimental impact on a victim’s ability to lift objects and complete common daily tasks.
- Spine and Nerve Damage: These injuries can cause overwhelming pain and suffering for victims and often make it extremely difficult to perform common tasks. In some cases, victims are bedridden for months and unable to walk. Sadly, spine and nerve injuries can result in permanent paralysis or lost sensation.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: TBI’s can cause significant mental and physical pain and suffering. Those impacted often have problems performing cognitive tasks that they used to handle without difficulty, experience personality changes, and may suffer from taste, hearing or vision loss. In some cases, victims experience impaired memory issues and problems with their motor skills. The effects of TBI may be temporary or permanent, and victims may even be required to go to therapy for the rest of their lives.
- Cuts and Abrasions: These injuries can range drastically in severity. They can result in overwhelming pain and suffering as well as permanent scarring. Victims who sustain these injuries can also experience secondary issues, such as infections, which can be life-threatening.
Victims who suffer these or any other significant injuries in a slip and fall accident should contact the injury attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices as soon as possible. We are dedicated to helping victims recover the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims.
Why Work With Alexander J. Smith Law Offices?
Every year, more than one million people are injured in slip and fall accidents nationwide. A fair percentage of those accidents here in Wisconsin and Illinois will result in significant, debilitating injuries. Not only can those harmed be forced to deal with mental and physical pain and suffering, but the financial consequences are often overwhelming. When victims sustain serious injuries in slip and fall accidents, it is imperative that they reach out to a slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible. Those who are injured as a result of another party’s negligence may be entitled to monetary compensation.
For more than twenty years, the personal injury attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have helped victims recover the maximum amount of compensation for their legal claims. Victims involved in these terrible incidents often feel lost and alone throughout their recovery. To make matters even worse, they can incur medical bills ranging from tens-of-thousands to millions of dollars, as well as expenses related to lost wages and rehabilitative medical treatment.
For this reason, it is imperative for injured victims to contact a skilled and dedicated slip and fall accident attorney at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices to protect their legal rights. Some of the types of damages victims may be able to recover include compensation for:
- Medical Treatment
- Long-Term Care Costs
- Pain and Suffering
- Lost Wages
- Lost Earning Capacity
- Grief, Sorrow, and Mental Anguish
- Loss of Consortium
- Loss of Society
- Punitive Damages
- And More
When a family has lost a loved one as a result of a slip and fall accident that was the fault of another party’s negligence, an experienced wrongful death attorney can help the family recover compensation for funeral services, loss of inheritance, and various other damages in addition to those listed above. We will stop at nothing to make sure victims’ families are in the best position possible to move forward after a fatal injury in a slip and fall accidents.
At Alexander J. Smith Law Offices we provide stellar legal representation to victims without requiring them to pay any money upfront. We work diligently to help victims protect their legal rights while working on a contingency basis. When victims receive money for their legal claims, our legal fees are paid at that time. In cases where victims do not win their lawsuits, there is no charge them for our services. There is no fee unless you win.
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, due to the negligent actions of another person, contact Alexander J. Smith Law Offices at (608) 237-7035 in Wisconsin or (815) 243-9686 in Illinois to see how we can help you. Schedule a free case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys to discuss the legal options available for you today.
Jon M, Personal Injury Client
Michele H, Personal Injury Client
COMMUNITIES WE SERVE
Alexander J. Smith Law Offices is dedicated to helping injured people and their families in Wisconsin and Illinois:
- Janesville, WI
- Beloit, Wi
- Evansville, Wi
- Delavan, Wi
- Walworth, Wi
- Roscoe, Il
- South Beloit, Il
- Rockton, Il
- Machesney Park, Il
- Loves Park, Il
- Rockford, Il
Send Us A Message
This web site is made available by Alexander J. Smith Law Offices for general information purposes only and to provide a general understanding of certain aspects of personal injury law, NOT to provide legal advice. Readers of this web site are cautioned that reading it or submitting an inquiry does not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Alexander J. Smith Law Offices.